3.15.2010

Entry Table Revamp and my first glaze experience!

A few years ago, we purchased this demilune table and mirror for our entryway.  Here’s one of the most recent pictures when I had it decorated for Christmas:

demilune table

This table just wasn’t doing it for me anymore.  Time for a redo!

I didn’t think the before was too bad, but it needed something.  Here’s the before, ready to be revamped:

feb march 2010 projects 007

First I started by painting the legs of the table (and the matching mirror) with my oil rubbed bronze spray paint.

For the top of the table, I chose Wood Smoke by Glidden.  I painted on two coats.

I wasn’t thrilled with the finish… it just needed something extra.  Enter porcelain crackle glaze by Valspar:

Valspar Signature Colors Faux Finish Porcelain Crackle Glaze

The instructions noted that the thicker the coat, the bigger the crackle.  I wanted something visible but not huge, so I went with two coats.  When I looked closely, I could see the crackle was there.  Now it just needed something extra to highlight it.

After I let the glaze dry for 24 hours, I mixed up some Valspar Clear Mixing Glaze with some dark brown paint.  I used a 6:1 ratio of glaze to paint.  I used an old rag to wipe the glaze onto the table.  After just a moment, this started to appear:

feb march 2010 projects 001

This was my first time working with glazes of any sort, so it was an experience!  I used the rag to wipe on the glaze.  Looking back, next time I will rub the glaze in circles as opposed to long strokes… but it’s all good!  You live and learn.  I was still happy with the way the table was shaping up.

Here’s a close up of how it looked when it dried.  I love the outcome, I think it looks like the color of weathered wood.

feb march 2010 projects 005

It goes perfectly with my new set of keys that are on the other side of our entryway.  And now, I am in love with glaze.  I can’t believe I’d never used it before.

With a quick sweep through Homegoods and Hobby Lobby, I picked up a few accessories to create that earthy casual look with a pop of color that I just love. 

IMG_0599

  • Blue Vase from Homegoods $6.99
  • Lantern from Homegoods $19.99
  • Candle from Homegoods $6.99
  • Apple and Pear from Hobby Lobby, $1 each
  • Starfish from Hobby Lobby, $2.99
  • Orange berry stems from Hobby Lobby, on sale 50% off, $2.00 total

I love the softness of the gray with the added fun of the orange and blue.

IMG_0603

Candle lanterns are one of my favorite accessories right now.

IMG_0640

I also ordered this 3x5’  rug from Overstock, which should be arriving sometime this week.

P12438169 All done!

IMG_0601

Linking up with Thrifty Decor Chick’s Before & After Party!

 

7 comments:

The DIY Show Off said...

What a beautiful transformation! I love the new look and the beachy vibe! The rug is so pretty too! Thanks for sharing in the DIY Project Parade!

Roeshel

Stephanie Lynn said...

Love the color you used for the table top! It turned out gorgeous! Great job!

Kim said...

I'm visiting from DIY - this is really pretty. I like all of the accessories you found, too.

Kimba said...

Your entry way looks fantastic! And I love the color on your table. Nice job!

Thanks for linking up.

jen said...

Beautiful transformation!
I love that color...We are in the middle of a 1/2 bath remodel & thats the exact color I painted it!
pineyflatsstyle.blogspot.com

~*yOuNiQuE727*~ said...

What a beautiful job ~ I've never tried valspar but I will now ~ love the colors you combined. Great job!

Norma
younique727

Jessica said...

Love it! Great lantern. I must go get one too :-)

Related Posts with ThumbnailsShare/Bookmark