3.25.2012

No Sew Roman Shades

The work on my office space continues, and this weekend we made a HUGE leap forward to completing the room.  I’m so excited!  I just finished installing my brand new custom roman shades!  The fabric store quoted me $500 for 2 roman shades, which is frankly redonk.  With all the faboo ideas out there from the talented bloggers of blogland, I knew I could make something for a fraction of the price. 

roman shades 6

My original fabric choice for this project was Thomas Paul’s Dahlia Agean from Calico Corners.  The colors in this fabric were the inspiration for my office.  I love the aqua, citrine and grey – plus it goes perfectly with my Rainwater walls.  I borrowed a sample from the store (love that you can do that with Calico) and debated whether it was the right choice.  Finally, after considering about a bajillion other swatches, I came back to my original choice.  I still love it and am so glad I chose it.

I am not much of a seamstress– that’s something that needs to change.  But, reality being what it is, I set out to find some no sew plans for roman shades.  Luckily, Pinterest has a wealth of options.  I studied 3 plans, and ended up using a mixture of instructions.  My space faces straight west, and it gets very warm in the afternoons.  I knew that I’d need to line my shade with blackout liner to keep some of the sunlight out.  I also love the complete, neat look of a shade with trim on the side.  Take a look at my inspiration here:

I owe each of these bloggers my firstborn, seriously.  Without their instructions and inspiration, I’d be completely sunk. 

I ended up using the blinds I already had in the window.  I used fusion liner to adhere the blackout liner to the top fabric.  Quilt binding was used to complete the edges of each shade.

roman shade 3

The only thing left to do is hang the blind valance over the top bar.  I’m waiting on a few clips to arrive, since my other ones broke.  That should complete the look.

Cost Breakdown:

4 1/2 yards of fabric (I had to get a lot since this is such a large pattern) $144

Various supplies such as fabric glue, fusion lining, blackout lining and quilt binding: $57

Total cost: $201

Only a few more things left to do in this room until this pup is done!

Update: to see the finished office, click here

Linking to:
DIY Show Off

6 comments:

SD ~ Dawning Inspiration said...

Cool! I think I'm going to have to try this!

maria said...

These came out gorgeous, so professional looking!! I absolutely love the fabric you chose!
thanks for the sweet shout out!!
xoxxo
Maria

The Transformed Home by Patty said...

I want to do roman shades for my office but heard they were hard. This is great. Thanks for the info. Now I have a good reference point(s) to start.

Wendy said...

Well done! The shades are beautiful and you're right -$500.00 is totally redonk.

Anonymous said...

They came out great!!

burningeden said...

Did you ever get your valance hung? I'd love to see the finished project.

Related Posts with ThumbnailsShare/Bookmark